The Basics of Pre-planning
Pre-planning a funeral is also known as "preneed" planning. Preneed refers to prearranging and pre-funding your own funeral. A preneed insurance policy covers the cost of the funeral at the time of death.
Every year, millions of North Americans arrange their funerals in advance. They explore their options for a ceremony, they discuss costs, and they set up a plan with the professionals in their community to ensure they'll have the funeral they choose.
Why is Preneed Funeral Planning Important?
No one likes to think about death, let alone plan for it. In many families, discussing one's mortality is an extremely uncomfortable topic. But it is a topic that should be discussed and planned for well in advance of your death.
By pre-planning your funeral, you relieve your family of having to make important financial decisions during a period of great stress and grief-a time when people aren't thinking very clearly and may not know what to do because you never made your wishes known.
It's easy to say, "Don't make a fuss. I don't want a ceremony. Just bury me and be done with it." But it is important to realize that the ritual of a funeral and/or memorial service isn't for the deceased but for the living. It is a time when friends and family can gather together to grieve openly and to provide support for one another.
Pre-planning your funeral can be very informal, and as simple as following our pre-planning checklist and sharing your wishes with a family member. More formal arrangements in the form of a preneed contract can be set up with a funeral director and pre-funded through life insurance.
Pre-planning, when done properly, can give you peace of mind because you know that your arrangements are ready and pre-funded. Meet with your funeral director to discuss pre-planning.
By pre-planning your funeral, you can:
- make all the arrangements during a time of peace and not leave them to your family during their time of grief;
- make your wishes known;
- control the cost of your funeral and protect from inflation;
- ensure that personal records are organized and easy for your survivors to locate;
- protect your insurance so that it provides for your survivors and not for funeral expenses; and
- provide protection in case the need arises before it is expected
Benefits of Pre-Planning a Funeral
Prearranging a funeral:
- Involves your family in making these difficult decisions.
- Means every detail can be arranged according to your wishes.
- Guarantees that personal records are organized.
- Saves your family from any additional burden at a time of emotional stress.
Pre-funding a funeral:
- Spares your loved ones from financial worry at a time of need.
- Fits your budget with various payment plans.
- Means funeral expenses can be taken care of today.
If you so desire, you may make complete arrangements and pre-pay the amount. A member of our staff is available to explain the different choices and answer any questions you might have. We suggest that you call for an appointment when you wish to discuss pre-arrangements. Call today 770-287-8227 Memorial Park Funeral Home or 770-967-5555 Memorial Park South or 770-297-6200 Memorial Park North Riverside Chapel and a member of our family service team will assist you with Dignity, Honor, Respect, and with Compassion.